Most dog owners don’t like to spend time apart from their dog. But whether it’s for a vacation or a business trip, sometimes life intervenes and you need a reliable, trusted place to leave your dog behind. Ensuring you know what to look for in a dog boarding facility can give you the freedom to travel without worry. Here’s how to find the right Ottawa kennel for your dog.
Doing Your Research
- First, you’ll probably want to check out the company’s reputation. Check on their website and make sure they have some positive feedback posted from past customers.
- If you’ve found that the kennel seems to have a positive reputation online or through word-of-mouth, you’ll definitely want to book an in-person tour of the facility. Contact the kennel if they give full tours of the facility and if you need an appointment to visit the facility.
- The best kennels will fill up quickly so start your research and plan your facility tour early.
Questions to Ask the Kennel
Once you’re at the kennel, there are some basic questions you’ll want to ask, and observations to take. These could include:
- Making sure the place is clean and smells good.
- Ensuring that the kennel has enough staff on to look after the dogs they have in their facility.
- Checking to see if all the dogs have their own kennel and access to an outdoor run.
- Ask how the place is heated and if the facility has air conditioning.
- Check if all the dogs have fresh water and clean comfortable bedding.
- Ask if the owner lives on site and what time are the dogs checked on last at night.
Of course, you’re hopeful that there will be no medical issues when your pet is away. So there are a few more questions you should ask to cover both prevention and treatment.
- Vaccinations are very important so make sure the kennel you choose is strict on asking for proof of vaccinations.
- Does the kennel administer medication? And if so, at what cost?
- Lastly, ask if the kennel has a vet on site (or a vet that lives close by), in case your dog needs medical attention.
Ottawa Dog Boarding
A little bit of research goes a long way. If you’re happy with what you’ve seen and the responses you’ve gotten to all those questions, then go ahead and book the facility. Give your dog a great kennel experience and it will make your vacations worry-free.
Bekkers Pet Care offers dog boarding in Ottawa for all your kennel needs. Check out our packages or contact us to arrange a tour today!
Thanks for reading,
The Bekkers Pet Care Team